I found this really cool design on http://www.pompomemporium.com/ just in time for Easter. Adults and children alike will get a kick out of this fun little chick that is hiding a creme egg inside. It is a quick knit so you can make up a bunch for the whole family!!!To make a chick you will need...
Small amount of yellow DK yarn
- A pair of needles UK size 3.75mm / 9 / US 5
- Small amount of stuffing for the head
- Small piece of felt for the beak
- Chocolate egg, plastic or hard boiled!
- Row 1: K1, increase 1, K to the end.
- Repeat first row until you have 36 stitches on the needle (10 rows)
- Knit four rows. (14 rows)
- Row 1: K3, bring yfwd, slip next stitch, ybk, move slip stitch back to left needle. Turn
- Row 2: K3 to end
- Row 3: K2, bring yfwd, slip next stitch, ybk, move slip stitch back to left needle. Turn
- Row 4: K2 to end
- Row 5: Cast off 10 stitches, K to end
- Repeat last five row for the other side to shape tail.
- You will have 16 stitches left in the centre of your knitting.
- Rows 1-4: Knit
- Row 5: K1, K2tog, K to last three stitches, K2tog, K1.
- Rows 6-8: Same as row 5
- Rows 9-10: Knit
This will leave you with 8 stitches. Cut the yarn leaving a length 30cm (12") long.Thread a needle with the 30cm length and run it through the 8 remaining stitches, pull them tight. Continue with the yarn to sew up the head, back and side leaving a hole big enough to insert an egg. Stuff the head lightly. Insert the egg, this will give you the body shape making it easy to see where the neck should be. With a needle threaded with the yarn, do a running stitch to cinch the neck (not too tight) fasten off securely. The eyes are french knots made from black yarn. Sew on a beak made from red felt and your done!!!